2017年1月9日 星期一

【105-1 第二名】財政三 康〇愉:Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie


參賽者:康〇愉(財政三)
名次:第二名
書名:Murder on the Orient Express
得獎作品:

     The murderer is with us – on the train now…’ This particular statement made my whole body shudder when I was scanning through my sister’s books collection. I was itching to find an interesting book when this crime novel made its way to my hands. As a mystery lover, I wouldn’t want to miss this exceptional word: murder. Truth to be told, this book intrigued me from every aspect. I was expecting, what kind of murder will take place on the train?

     Written by a famous English novelist who has sold roughly 2 billion copies of her works, ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ was chosen as second place’s ‘World’s Favorite Christie’ in 2015. Agatha Christie, also known by the title of ‘Queen of Crime’ is listed in Guinness Book of World Records as the best-selling novelist of all time. With the faithful protagonist, Hercule Poirot, who has been accompanying her ever since the first novel she published, Murder on the Orient Express successfully hit the bookstores on January 1934.

     The story begins with Hercule Poirot, a private detective who arrived in Istanbul, is going back to London because he received a telegram which prompt him to cancel his arrangements. By taking a first class compartment of Orient Express, Poirot met Mr. Ratchett, who attempts to hire Poirot’s strength because he believes his life is threatened. However, Poirot refused with the reason of doesn’t like his face. I’m impressed by how Poirot refuses the big money Mr. Ratchett offered firmly.

     On the second night, the train is stopped by a snowdrift and that was when the incident occurred. The next morning, Poirot was asked by Mr. Bouc, an acquaintance of his and the director of Orient Express to solve the case before Yugoslav police arrives in order to avoid any complication. Poirot agrees and conduct an investigation right away.

     This is when the story starts to get interesting. Poirot started with checking the crime scene, then he asked for the passenger’s alibi and search for any evidence he could find. Strangely, the murder was somehow related to a kidnapping case long ago in America. The evidence presented was undoubtedly sufficient, not too little but also not too much to reveal who the murderer is.

     I like how observant Poirot is even before the murder happened. He kept an eye of the people in the first class compartment acutely, but not intense enough to raise any suspicion. He also acted calmly during the whole incident, even though there were so much complicated pieces of puzzle. How he ever could arrive at such outcomes and possibilities, I think it’s because he think objectively. Nevertheless, I am fond of his character and his nature. ‘Mon ami, if you wish to catch a rabbit you put a ferret into the hole, and if the rabbit is there he runs. That is all I have done.’ He said to Mr. Bouc when he taunted one of suspect. Hercule Poirot is one of the best main character indeed.

     Agatha Christie is my most respected author and the number one crime novelist in my list. She always managed to make me wonder and think about the murderer, only to be astonished by the outcome in the end. I could have never guessed it right, and that only makes me feel like I haven’t catch up to her yet. I totally recommend Agatha Christie’s novels!

沒有留言:

張貼留言